Our MISSION is improving the quality of life of young people through consistent Positive Youth Development in a safe and supportive environment, encouraging youth to become active, productive members of their families, schools and community-at-large.
Our VISION is to coach, expose, motivate & encourage all youth to realize their personal worth, realize & maximize their gifts & talents and more.
We work collaboratively with school counselors & teachers to identify students in need and to provide mentoring, life skills, job training, cultural exposure and general support. The mentees who have participated in our program have not only improved in the area of academic performance but also have an increased level of social skills, enhanced performance in athletic activities, and an increased sense of optimism for their future endeavors.
Student, Curriculum & Prospectus Materials (click to view):
- Driven Young Men (DYM – pronounced “DIM”) – Male mentors focus on our general elements in addition to issues that face our minority boys that we offer growth opportunities for them to be awesome and impactful men in their lifetime.
- Ladies of Legacy Driven (LOL) – To train, educate, encourage and empower our young girls to grow into adult women who will be impactful and legacy driven in their respective communities and reciprocate their morals and values to others.
Mentoring Schedule – See our Events page for information.
* Interested in guest speaking to our youth, complete our “Contact” form for consideration by clicking HERE.
How We Mentor:
- In-person Mentoring (individual & group) sessions in schools during lunchtime with students; Candidates are submitted by teachers, grade level assistant principals and/or by request of a parent; Student assessments are conducted mid-year or as needed, when a concern arises or requested by a teacher or parent. (up to 30 mins)
- After-school sessions for boys and girls are held monthly or bi-monthly in the classroom and/or gym of the students school. Youth from the program are exposed to health routines by a fitness trainer, guest speakers, and a sit-down meal together to discuss various topics. (1.5-2 hours)
- Virtual Mentoring occurs monthly for all program students no matter the grade level. We desire to follow the child through Middle & High School as it’s a lifelong relationship, not for a season (30-45 mins).
- Weekend Sessions – Special sessions held in community centers or library room settings will feature guest speakers and also a time for our students to share and discuss life with mentors for guidance and different POVs.
- Mentorship Consultant –We welcome relationships and partnerships with schools and other organizations with a strong interest in building a Mentorship program. (time varies per school project)
- Substitute Teaching – Our CEO visits various schools to meet principals and staff, have opportunities to meet youth and mentor in classroom settings in addition to chatting with school staff about the success and challenges. To serve the students, we must gain knowledge in the environment they’re in the most!
Sample of Discussion Topics/Activities (subject to change):
- Questionnaire (1st session of the year) – September – Welcome to the program, and getting to know each other. What are they looking for in the program and what they can expect?
- Team Building
- Behavioral Management
- Conflict Resolution
- S.T.E.M. – Science, Technology, Engineering & Math
- SEL (social and emotional learning, managing your emotions)
- Health, Fitness and Nutrition – How to live your best life from the inside out. I
- Confidence in Self / Trusting and Believing in Self (see Bowen Theory below titled “Self Differentiation”)
- Reading/Writing Skills (Analysis, Comprehension, Fact finding, Grammar Usage etc.)
Bowen Family Systems Theories
In 2006 our Founder was exposed to Bowen Family Systems Theory Systems (from Dr. Murray Bowen, Georgetown University) through a personal journey that proved to be life changing. Bowen theories such as “Self Differentiation”, “Family Projection Process”, “Societal Projection Process” and “Triangles” are used while mentoring our youth in certain situations.
Learn more about the Bowen Family Systems by clicking here.